Bài viết này mình sẽ chia sẻ đến các bạn những giới từ quan trọng sẽ được sử dụng thường xuyên cho bài viết IELTS writing. Mỗi giới từ đều có giải thích nghĩa sử dụng trong mỗi trường hợp( viết bằng tiếng Anh để các bạn tự dịch sẽ hiểu tốt nhất) cùng với đó là ví dụ cụ thể.
Xem thêm bài viết:
Tin chắc rằng, những giới từ này bạn sẽ nhất định sử dụng đến cho phần thi của mình. Vậy chúng ta cùng vào bài học nhé!
- in the middle of or during something, especially something that causes excitement or fear
Example: He finished his speech amid tremendous applause.
- Surrounded by something
Example: The hotel was in a beautiful position amid lemon groves.
Regarding, concerning or related to somebody/something
Example: Apropos our date for lunch, I cannot go.
With one leg on each side of something, situated on both sides of something; lying across or over; spanning
Example: Rights groups urged the Indonesian government to block a proposed law banning women from sitting astride motorcycles in deeply Islamic Aceh province, where the position is deemed “improper”.
- Across, from one side to the other Example: They put a table athwart the doorway.
- Not agreeing with, opposite to Example: His statement ran athwart what was previously said.
On top of, at the top of Example: Fruit and vegetable prices rose 1.3 per cent atop a 2 per cent gain last month.
Except for, unless there is/are
Example: Barring accidents, we should arrive on time.
- In or to a lower position than somebody/something; under somebody/something Example: They found the body buried beneath a pile of leaves.
- Not good enough for somebody Example: He considers such jobs beneath him.
- Next to or at the side of somebody/something Example: He sat beside her all night.
- Compared with somebody/something Example: My painting looks childish beside yours.
In addition to somebody/something; apart from somebody/something
Example: Besides working as a doctor, he also writes novels in his spare time.
- On or to the further side of something Example: The road continues beyond the village up into the hills.
- Later than a particular time Example:I know what I’ll be doing for the next three weeks but I haven’t thought beyond that.
- More than something Example:Our success was far beyond what we thought possible.
- Used to say that something is not possible Example: The situation is beyond our control.
- Too far or too advanced for somebody/something Example: The exercise was beyond the abilities of most of the class.
(used with dates) about, in approximately
Example: She was born circa 1920.
About something, involving somebody/something
Example: All cases concerning children are dealt with in a special children’s court.
Synonyms: Apropos, Regarding, Respecting, With respect to, As for, As regards, In respect of, With regard to, In regard to
Used to show that you are thinking about a particular fact, and are influenced by it, when you make a statement about something
Example: Considering he has only just started, he knows quite a lot about it.
Despite/In spite of
Used to show that something happened or is true although something else might have happened to prevent it
Example: Despite applying for hundreds of jobs, he is still out of work.
Except/Except for/Apart from/Aside from
Used before mentioning the only thing or person about which a statement is not true
Example: We work every day except Sunday.
Example: Lunch cost 10 dollars per person, excluding drinks.
Used to introduce a suggestion that could be considered if the one just mentioned is not possible
Example: Ask a friend to recommend a doctor or, failing that, ask for a list in your local library.
After or as a result of a particular event
Example: He took charge of the family business following his father’s death.